Monday, September 24, 2012

Phase 3, Prompt 4



Sherman Alexie implements storytelling in “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven” to inform the reader of the passions and dreams of little Native American boys to be “warriors” (63). In his story, “This Is What It Means To Say Phoenix, Arizona,” Alexie portrays this passion in a scene with the characters Victor and Thomas. Thomas, the storyteller, and Victor, the childhood friend of Thomas, had just finished watching a firework show when Thomas decided to tell a story: There were these two Indian boys who wanted to be warriors. But it was too late to be warriors in the old way. All of the bows, arrows, and horses are gone. So the two Indian boys stole a car and drove to the city. They parked the stolen car in front of the police station and then hitchhiked back home to the reservation. When they got back, all their friends cheered and their parents’ eyes shone with pride. You were very brave, everybody said to the two Indian boys. Very brave. ‘Ya-hey,’ Victor said. ‘That’s a good one. I wish I could be a warrior.’(63)

Native American Indians were generally peace loving people, but when confronted with opposition they were the fiercest of fighters. The warrior class was the most highly respected class of Native American society. They were honored with special headdresses when they would accomplish certain feats in battle. The Native American children want to break through the history of leading the meaningless and unsuccessful lives that their elders have led, and they want to take their lives in to their own hands and make something of it. The children want to wipe away the old memories of past failures of their elders. They want to be brave, courageous, and honored as they strive for successful and respected lives.

In this passage by Alexie, he describes the longing of young Indians to be “warriors.” Along with being a warrior, the Native American children want respect from their elders and friends on the reservation. By stealing the car and parking it in front of the police station, the two Native American boys displayed the quality of courage, and therefore, gained respect in the community.  The value of bravery is held to a very high standard in this story. Native American men were often subject to racism and oppression by white settlers. White settlers under minded Native American culture, especially ideals concerning spiritual growth and nature. A warrior’s spiritual strength is the source of his power, and the foundation of his character. For a young boy, reaching this stage in life is equated with ascending to manhood. Being a warrior in traditional American Indian society gives one a sense of pride and a sense of accomplishment at a time in life when self-esteem is just developing. Becoming a warrior brings status to young men and women in their culture. This is what fuels their desire.

Native American warriors are devoted to the survival of their people and their homeland. If necessary, warriors will lay down their lives for the preservation of their culture. For death to the American Indian warrior is but another step in the advancement of life. What is frustrating about the warrior society is that it is dwindling as time progresses. “The Way of The Warrior” is losing its hold as Native American reservations are slowly navigating to the fading pages of history. The continued survival of Native American culture is at jeopardy, thus the due service of the Native American warrior is at jeopardy as well.


10 comments:

  1. I like how you brought up the chapter where Thomas tells Victor a story about the warriors. But it seems like what it means to be a warrior has changed for the boys on the reservation; hence, the "but it was to late to be a warrior in the old way."(63) I think Alexie's purpose in putting this chapter in the story is to show what the new generation of Indians on the reservation conceived to be bravery.

    Maybe poverty among other reasons have caused a shift in what it means to be brave to the boys on the reservation?Like you mentioned in your post throughout history many Native Americans have lost their lives trying to preserve both their culture and people. But on the reservation stealing a car is perceived to be bravery. What do you believe this says about the reservations definition of bravery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, I think the tribe tried to focus on any ounce of action that showed "bravery" since they did not have much to live for in their eyes (being in such state of poverty). The little actions of courage shown may bring about hope of a purpose which in this case is shown through their traditions. Culture is what brings a society together and in this case it is the story of warriors. The reservation finds hope in the existence of bravery/ tradition.

      Delete
    2. I think it is pretty brave to steal a car. It's also completely idiotic but it is definitely brave. I would never have the guts to do something like that. I think there's a difference between bravery and heroic bravery. Brave can mean so many different things. I think they understand that a brave person can go out and do something uncommon or hard. I guess I'm trying to say that not everyone on the reservation has the same definition of brave.

      Delete
    3. I love how you distinguish between bravery and heroic bravery. That's kind of what I meant about it's relative to whomever is trying to define it. Like you said stealing a car and saving a baby are two different kinds of things.

      Delete
  2. Lydia, I think the definition of bravery is relative to the individual that's trying to define it. And I think because the story does take place in the 1960/70s, what they would consider brave would be extremely different than what their ancestors had to do to be called brave.

    Allen, I liked how you said that "If necessary, warriors will lay down their lives for the preservation of their culture." Of course, in this sense you were referring to the Native American culture, but it just makes me wonder how many other cultures out there are so determined and motivated to preserve their culture and stories. Do you think this is mostly just a Native American thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciara, I really don't think this is Native American thing. As a hispanic, I know my family still holds on to our Mexican culture and stories. Our culture is embedded deep into our roots and we can never really let it go.
      As time goes on, there different ways of being brave and becoming a hero. For Native Americans in the past, being a great warrior made you very brave and respected. This does not mean though, that this is the only way to show bravery or to become a hero. There are many ways one can be a hero in their communities. Helping others in different ways is an example.

      Delete
  3. Ciara, I definitely don't think that Natives are the only group that is trying to preserve their culture and stories. A society’s culture and stories are what they are defined by. Without a culture they are tied together in any way so they don't really have a purpose. Culture gives members of a group a purpose that must be preserved, which in most cases are done through stories that mean something to the particular group. What if these stories weren't told, would there be a purpose to these groups? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciara, you bring up a very interesting point about preservation of culture. I do not believe that Native Americans are the only culture motivated to preserve their cultural identity and stories. I believe that there are numerous cultures that want to preserve their cultural identity but in a different way than the Native Americans do. For example, Universities offer courses in Spanish, Latin, Chinese, Portuguese, and many others. All of these different cultures have been able to preserve their stories and identity by simply making it available for students to learn about while at school. Another example are the numerous ethnic clubs that are established on Universities. Today, the Turkish Club had set up an entire presentation of their culture to educate other students. While these examples might be less extreme than the way Native Americans preserve their culture it shows how stories and cultural identity can be preserved in an academic way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly I complete agree with you!! I believe the native Americans hVe done a great job perserving their culture. I am of Native American decent and love the aspect. I wonder why more cultures are not like this.

      Delete
  5. Maddie, I wonder about that too. For example, I don't really know too much about my family's background. I envy those who do because (to me) it seems as if it gives you more self worth. I would love to know more about my family's culture (and black people in general, beyond what we learn in school) to be able to pass it down to my future children.

    ReplyDelete