Thomas Builds-the-Fire becomes increasingly isolated in
Sherman Alexie’s stories simply because of the stories he tries to tell the
people of the Spokane Reservation. The people of the Spokane Reservation never
wanted to listen to Thomas’ stories and he remained silent for nearly twenty
years because of that. When Thomas decides to start telling his stories again,
he is arrested and put on trial. The BIA officials determined that Thomas had
“a storytelling fetish accompanied by an extreme need to tell the truth” (93).
The officials found Thomas’ stories dangerous due to the truth behind the
stories and the reaction Thomas created in people when they actually listened
to him. The stories Thomas tells eventually get him sentenced and imprisoned
thus making him completely isolated from the rest of the stories.
As
mentioned above, Thomas’ stories were thought to be truthful and dangerous by
the BIA officials. During his trial, Thomas tells three different stories that
allude to battles between the Native Americans and the White Americans. On page
98, Thomas tells the Judge about the horse slaughtering in 1858. In this story,
Thomas is giving the audience the viewpoint of a horse that witnessed the
slaughtering of his friends and family. This event really did happen in
September of 1858 at the Spokane Bridge. The Colonel Wright in Thomas’ story
was a real Colonel during the 1850s and was the one who conducted the horse
slaughtering. In another story told during his trial on page 98, Thomas tells
the Judge about an Indian named Qualchan and his visit to Colonel Wright’s
camp. Qualchan was an Indian warrior who was sent to Colonel Wright’s camp to
see if he was in a peace-negotiating mood. Upon arriving at the camp, Colonel
Wright ordered Qualchan to be hung along with six other Indians. The third and
final story Thomas tells the Judge on page 100 is about Steptoe and his
soldiers. In May of 1858, Colonel Steptoe led 159 American soldiers into battle
against a group of Native Americans that included a large number of Spokane
Indians. Colonel Steptoe and his soldiers retreated from the battle due to low
ammunition and impeding disaster. Each of the stories Thomas told during his
trial are all historical events that occurred during 1858.
While
the stories above were actual historical events, Thomas also tells visions of
what has yet to happen. During This is
What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona, Victor informs readers that Thomas
knew “that Victor’s father was going to leave, knew it before anyone” (61). It
is also revealed to readers that Thomas had a vision to go stand by the Falls
in Spokane and wait for a sign. That sign was Victor’s father asking that
Thomas and Victor “Take care of each other” (69). While these two visions
related directly to Victor, there are other visions Thomas tells that relate to
the entire population of Spokane. On page 21, Thomas tells Victor and Junior
not to slow dance with their skeletons. While Thomas directly tells Victor and
Junior this, the readers are informed of what Thomas meant by his statement.
“Indians never wear a watch because your skeletons will always remind you about
the time” (22). This quote shows the readers how this applies to the entire
Indian population. The quote also gives readers insight as to why the people of
the Spokane Reservation are not fond of Thomas Builds-the-Fire.
Thomas
Builds-the-Fire tells historical stories along with visions of what has yet to
occur. Until his trial, Thomas’ stories go unheard by the people of the Spokane
Reservation. At his trial, it is revealed to readers that when Thomas’ stories
are actually heard the Indians show their respect for Thomas. At one point in the
trial, an Indian woman in the courtroom stands up and yells, “We hear you”
(99). It is also not until this time that the BIA officials realize how much of
a threat Thomas really is. The stories Thomas tells give the people of the Spokane
Reservation hope and reestablish their pride. After his trial, Thomas is riding
in a bus towards the state prison and the prisoners in the bus recognize who he
is and that he is a storyteller. “Tell us some stories, chief, give us the
scoop” (103). The fact that a
prisoner recognizes Thomas and knows about his stories informs the readers that
despite how mean the residents of the Spokane Reservation are to Thomas; they
really do respect him and his stories.
Kelly, I really liked what you had to say about Thomas's stories at the trial. It's really interesting that they actually occurred. I think that maybe Thomas was retelling the stories of the past to tell the Native Americans nowadays to hold on to their culture. As you pointed out, Thomas's stories weren't listened to until his trial. It was only when he was being repressed that the tribe finally listened, and understood to an extent, what he was saying. Do you think that maybe because of this incident, the Native Americans will learn to listen to the future storytellers?
ReplyDeleteRebecca I also feel like Thomas really was trying to keep the Native American culture alive so that other Native Americans could appreciate it more. But I honestly feel that is very sad to see how it took Thomas to be in trail so that the other people in the reservation would listen to him. I think in this book Indians care about only certain part of their culture. It is, to me, that for example young men in the tribe want to become warriors, but they never really want to listen to stories about their old warriors. It is like they only want to keep alive on part of their culture, but they important things like historic events and moments that mark their destiny don’t matter to them as much. Do you think the reason why they didn’t want to listen to Thomas was because some of the stories are sad and terrible and they don’t want to remember them at all?
ReplyDeleteKelly, I like how you pointed out how Thomas Builds-The-Fire would be a threat to the BIA officials. By telling stories that both look at the past and predict the future I think Thomas is trying to keep Indian culture alive throughout history.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, I think the purpose of the lady shouting out during the trial shows that the tribe waited until it was too late to save Thomas. But hopefully by witnessing the trial they will listen to future storytellers.
Tati, I think the material of Thomas' stories played a part in why the reservation didn't want to listen to the stories, but I think the main reason they didn't want to listen is because the stories make them think and question their position in society.
Maybe they feel like their ancestors would be disappointed to learn that certain aspects of their culture have somewhat died out such as storytelling. What other differentiating aspects do you guys see between the Native Americans in Thomas' stories and the ones on the reservation?
One of the biggest differentiation aspects that I see is the way they treat the storytellers. I remember hearing/reading somewhere, that storytellers were very important to the tribes. People considered the storytellers as very wise, who were to be treated with the utmost respect. It is kind of shocking to see how the Native Americans in the novel treat Thomas Builds-The-Fire. It kind of reminds me of how society as a whole is moving away from the "respect you elders" bit. We don't stop and listen to the stories our parents and grandparents tell us anymore, kind of like the reservation not listening to Thomas.
ReplyDeleteLydia, I like what you said about you thinking the main reason they don't listen to the stories is because it makes them think about their position in society. If they started to question their position, do you think that it would be possible for the Native Americans to move up the social ladder? Or would it just cause frustrations and anger?
Rebecca, I love how you compare the tribe not listening to Thomas’ stories with today’s society not listening to the stories our grandparents have for us. I would never have made a connection like that. I feel like if we would pay more attention to what our grandparents and older people have to say about this society things would be different, we would be able to appreciate, improve and even to stop making mistakes that are harming our society. Maybe that would happen to the people in the Reservation, if they would stop and listen, I am pretty sure they could change their position in the culture and could definitely learn about not to make the same mistakes other made in the past which would really improve their way of living and could move to up in our society, they would even have a better understanding of their own culture and what it really means to be an Native American, maybe they would realize how important and valuable their culture is to the other people in America.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, I love how you compare the tribe not listening to Thomas’ stories with today’s society not listening to the stories our grandparents have for us. I would never have made a connection like that. I feel like if we would pay more attention to what our grandparents and older people have to say about this society things would be different, we would be able to appreciate, improve and even to stop making mistakes that are harming our society. Maybe that would happen to the people in the Reservation, if they would stop and listen, I am pretty sure they could change their position in the culture and could definitely learn about not to make the same mistakes other made in the past which would really improve their way of living and could move to up in our society, they would even have a better understanding of their own culture and what it really means to be an Native American, maybe they would realize how important and valuable their culture is to the other people in America.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, like Tati said I like how you compare the storytellers to our elders. I do believe if they began to question their position in society it would lead to social change, but it would take a long period of time. I think Alexie points out the importance of trying to go up the social ladder by deciding to become a writer instead of a doctor.
ReplyDeleteBy telling these stories hopefully more people on the reservation will see the potential that they hold for success. I think a prime example of this is during the chapter, "Jesus Christ's Half Brother is Alive and Well on the Spokane Indian Reservation", where the narrator talks about how smart James is and all the things he believes he will accomplish. But then later on in the story, we find out that James is dying of cancer and still on the reservation. To me it shows how even if people want a better life there are certain circumstances that hold them back. Do you guys think this chapter and what happened to James was significant?
Lydia, I do believe that James' story is significant because like you said, it show that the Indians do have potential for success. Perhaps it even shows us that someone with a disease like cancer that is killing them is also capable of succeeding during their life! We are never told for sure, but I think James has probably done something worth celebrating in his life. We are told in "Jesus Christ's Half Brother..." that James has so much potential and I have a feeling he did something with it. As we see in the tumor story, James is not afraid to die. He is not regretting his life. Therefore I believe James made some sort of accomplishment in his life that he is proud of. I think we can learn from this story as we see that even the people that don't get to live an entire 80 years or more can do great things with their lives. I feel like this could be an inspiration to the Indians. What do you guys think?
ReplyDeleteAmy, I agree that James was able to accomplish something during his life especially since he is not afraid of death. While I would like to believe that James’ story inspired other Native Americans, I do not think it did or will. Sherman Alexie mentions a number of young Native Americans that had potential to leave the reservation based off their basketball skills. Each one of these young talented basketball players ended up drinking and losing all potential that they ever had. I do believe that the stories Sherman Alexie writes may be an inspiration to the Native Americans. Sherman Alexie is now a well-known author that has made a life for him and his family off of the reservation. Shernan Alexie even mentions in his book that he was the first of his family to be middle class. Success stories, like Sherman Alexies, I believe give inspiration to Native Americans.
ReplyDelete