Sunday, September 30, 2012

Phase 1, Prompt 3- Ciara Gaines


When Sherman Alexie says that he is “writing what may be called reservation realism” I believe that means he is writing from somewhat of a fictional standpoint, but incorporates real experiences and his perspectives to convey his point of reservation life.

During my freshman year at Tech, we had to read a book called “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian” by Alexie for freshman seminar. And as I read it, I wondered to myself “Did (do) things like this really happen on reservations?” And after reading “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven”, including the introduction by Alexie, I realized that some of it does. Many themes that occurred in this novel also occurred in “Part Time Indian”: the alcoholism, the poverty, even the notion that the narrator (Arnold “Junior” Spirit in “Part Time Indian, Victor in “Fistfight in Heaven”) leaves the reservation school and goes to a “white” school where the mascot is the Indians.

One of the stories that stood out to me was “Indian Education.” Victor talks about his experiences through each grade, and the transition from the reservation school to the farm high school in town. During second grade, Victor’s teacher Betty Towle basically tortured him and once told him to tell her that he was sorry.

“Sorry for what?” I asked.

“Everything.” she said. 

This relates to boarding schools that Native Americans were sent to beginning in the 1870’s during the war. According to the article “American Indian Boarding Schools Haunt Many” one of the founders of a school, army officer Richard Pratt, said that he did not whole heartedly agree with the sentiment that a “good Indian is a dead one”(www.npr.org), but that his philosophy was this: “All the in Indian there is in the race should be dead. Kill the Indian in him, and save the man” (www.npr.org). I believe this was the mentality of many people at this time. Native American children were sent to schools to be taught by many teachers who one, did not respect their culture, two, did not understand their culture, and three, did not care to understand. The article goes on to tell stories from Native Americans who were forced into boarding schools and had everything about themselves changed including their names and hair, to assimilate them into a white society. I think Alexie’s point of including “Indian Education” in the book was to add to the “reservation realism.”  The white teachers who came to work on the reservation did not necessarily care about educating the Native Americans, but they cared more about taking away their culture.

Alexie is also showing how life on the reservation differed from life outside the reservation. During eighth grade of “Indian Education” after Victor transferred to an outside school, he shows how life was for him in the “white world” versus how whites treated him in the “Indian world.” While he is in the bathroom he talks about how the girls are voluntarily vomiting and wanting to be skinny, while his family does not have food and grew skinny from self-pity (177). During ninth grade while he was at a dance he passed out (from diabetes) and a dark-skinned teacher asked “What’s that boy been drinking? I know all about these Indian kids. They start drinking real young (178) to which the narrator comments that “sharing dark skin doesn’t necessarily make two men brothers” (178). I think this goes into “reservation realism” because it’s the situation through his eyes.

Alexie wrote that many people were upset with how much drinking he included in the novel and how it made Indians look back to which he replied that it was his view of life on the reservation. As one character in the novel stated “Perception is everything.” Even Alexie said that much of the stories in the novel weren’t completely true, some made up, and exaggerated. But all experiences are what we make them, and many may not see a situation the same, but it all comes back to your perspective.

The point I am trying to make is that Alexie uses his own experiences to create a “fictional” work. In his introduction he says that “They [the stories] are the vision of one individual looking at the lives of his family and his entire tribe”(XXI). He’s not asking everyone to look at Indians nor reservations the same way he does. He’s just conveying his opinion on certain situations all while trying to entertain.
                                                                                                                                                                                             
Bear, Charla. “American Indian Boarding Schools Haunt Many” http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16516865

10 comments:

  1. Ciara, I really enjoyed reading your response paper and your interpretation of “reservation realism.” I agree that “reservation realism” is a combination of fiction and real experiences from Alexie’s own life on the reservation. You mention at the beginning of your response that you read another one of Alexie’s books, “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian” your freshman year. What aspects of “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian” correspond to “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven?” You mention that the two novels present the aspects of poverty, alcoholism, and Indian Education. The only examples you used in your post came from “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven” and I was just curious as to if “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian” had examples that also pertain to poverty, alcoholism, and Indian Education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior (in "Part Time Indian") modeled reservation life as a whole. His parents were alcoholics (just like pretty much everyone on in "Lone Ranger"), and they had no money and could barely afford food sometimes. Junior, who attended school on the "rez" was in school one day when his teacher passed out textbooks. He opened and saw his mother's name in it, meaning the book was 20-30 years old! That was his breaking point and he chose to go to the "white" high school to create a better life for himself.

      Sorry I didn't expand on it much in the paper. My mistake. I mentioned it to point out that although "Lone Ranger" and "Part Time Indian" could be classified as two different types of books, they both are based off Alexie's experiences, even though "Part Time Indian" is written in a more fictional way.

      Delete
  2. Ciara, I love your statement that "The white teachers who came to work on the reservation did not necessarily care about educating the Native Americans, but they cared more about taking away their culture." Why do you think it was so important (or seemed so necessary) to the teachers to take away the Indian culture? Why don't they just accept the culture and allow it to become part of the American culture? Do you think they are scared of the Indians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe they were afraid of the Indians, I think they were more afraid of something they didn't understand.

      Delete
  3. Amy, I definitely think that the teachers are afraid of the Indians. They were terrified of the Native American's abilities and their "savage" culture. What better way to get rid of said culture than to take the children and force them to learn the American culture? Sadly, I think it worked. In "Lone Ranger and Tonto," we see that the Indians don't know much anymore about their culture, and they don't want to know, which is partly the reason why they don't talk to Thomas Builds-A-Fire. What other motivations do you think Americans had to take away the Indian culture? Or did they even have a motivation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca, I do not agree with your statement about the boarding schools taking away the Native American children’s culture. While you make a good point that the boarding schools were intended to assimilate the Native American children into American culture, I do not agree their main purpose was to destroy the Native American culture. If this were the true purpose of the boarding schools, I believe the Native American culture would not be as prevalent in today’s world. I also do not agree that the Native Americans do not want to learn about their culture. Throughout “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven” Alexie alludes to how important culture is to the Native Americans. A good example from the book is the entire chapter of A Drug Called Tradition. Why would Alexie include this chapter if the Native Americans did not want to learn about their culture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that the chapter, A Drug Called Tradition, is about the boys wanting to learn about their culture. I think it's about the boys dreaming that they could be great warriors... which is one aspect of their culture, but does not truly say much about the entire culture. I agree with Rebecca, but I would say that maybe instead of not wanting to learn about their culture, maybe they are scared of it. Like she mentioned, maybe that's the reason they don't want to talk to Thomas Builds-A-Fire. Some Indians may truly want to learn about their culture but I don't think we see much of that in this book. I also agree with Rebecca that, in a way, the teachers were trying to get rid some parts of the Indian culture. I think mostly, the teachers just wanted to make them become well respected men and women instead of the drunk stereotype (which is part of the Indian culture). I don't think the teachers were aiming to get rid of all Indian culture but they definitely wanted to do away with some of it.

      Delete
  5. very nice points you have Ciara, I'm from another group but your post is very good so I just wanted to drop in and throw down my 2 cents. I agree with you that Alexie used his past experiences to help him write this book. When reading the book I felt like I was their with this character like I was reading someone's autobiography. The emotions and situations that the characters get into are very relatable. Indian education was also a chapter that stood out to me because it was so interesting to see Victor growing up and going through each grade level and the experiences he had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I liked Indian Education also because I think it gave more of a real representation than the other stories. As you said, it felt as if I were reading someone's autobiography. I think reading that chapter made the book come together in a way because it showed both sides of the coin in a sense. It made you see it was a lose-lose situation: life on the reservation sucked, but life in the white world was hard as well.

      Delete
  6. Ciara! I also compared those same two novels. I think it really shows how much of his own life he put into his literary works. if it weren't true..why would he make it up for tow novels? The education chapter confused me when I compared them...however, I liked the chapter because it had so much heart in it. The last sentence of every grade level for me was really good. It gave me a take away piece of his experience or feelings for every grade he went through.

    ReplyDelete