Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Van Helsing: Science Vs. Religion


An argument that is extremely controversial and has been debated for centuries is that of science versus religion. In Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula this debate surfaces through much of the novel, and also within individuals, one being Professor Abraham Van Helsing. How does one remain disciplined in their scientific field, and at the same remain diligent in their faith? Stoker takes time to symbolize van helsing as a martyr for both his profession and his religion, thus maintaining the perfect balance between the two.
It is important to not only understand the debate at hand, but also the time period in which the novel was written. In the end of the Victorian period when Stoker was writing, science was starting to entrench itself as the accepted answer to life, the universe and everything. Science didn't however allow for vampires who are effectively the dead, come back to life. During this time period Catholicism was at war with famous scientist like Galileo Galilee. Van Helsing is an example of a scientist who not only believes in vampires, but also knows that they exist; he is both a philosopher and a metaphysician according to some text. In the novel he recognizes Lucys wound as a sign of a vampire and not just a wound of coincidence. Because he is both a scientist and a believer, it makes the idea of vampires more believable. Van Helsing is a man of belief. He doesn’t believe in killing vampires as though they are ordinary men or women. He carries sacred relects like crosses, and even uses garlic to kill vampires. He combines his knowledge of science and religious to combat villainous creatures like Dracula.
Furthermore, it is important to understand that Van Helsing views his efficacy in science as a gift from God, and to be used for the sole purpose of defeating evil. Though he is a scientist Van Helsing does believe in the existence of evil, contrary to what many scientists believe day. While on his journey in hunting down Dracula Van Helsing states, “Are we ministers of God’s own wish: that the world, and men for whom His Son die, will not be given over to monsters, who’s very existence would defame Him. He has allowed us to redeem one soul already, and we go out as the old knights of the Cross to redeem more. Like them we shall travel toward sunrise; and like them, if we fall, we fall in good cause” (Stoker 156). The professor believes we all have the potential to do well in the world. Deliver those from evil, and be strong in that one day your efforts will not be in vain. God will glorify your efforts, and you shall be rewarded.
Interestingly, Stoker is able to connect the readers to Van Helsing through his prophetic language. Van Helsing is careful in choosing his words when explaining his mythical knowledge to others. He understands the sensitivity in dealing with human intuition and believing in creates that are not of this world. Instead of just blurting out jargin, which would likely scare the reader, Van Helsing eases the audience into believing in something that would otherwise seem superfluous and exaggerated.
Van Helsing is a man of faith and diligence. His former student John Steward in the novel proclaims him as “a professor and metaphysician, and one of the most advanced scientist of his day, and he has, I believe, an absolutely open mind” (Stoker). I believe he is a special type of scientist in that he took the time to master his craft, but still leave room for imagination. This characteristic is important in being able to not only respect the two realms of science and religion, but be a firm believer in them. It takes patience, tolerance, and temperament, but I believe like Van Helsing, anyone can do it.
Works Cited:
Stoker, Bram. Dracula. New York: Barnes & Noble, 2003. Print.

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this essay. I agree that Van Helsing does tend to believe in science but also religion. It led me to think about why Stoker would make Van Helsing not simply a scientist but also a true believer in God. What do you think this brings to Van Helsings character?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of think this brings some humanization to his character. He isn't all about science so it allows him to be more sensitive to situations even though he knows what he needs to do. I think it does allow him to be more open-minded.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Ciara, I think that since Van Helsing has this balance between science and religion it allows Van Helsing to be more open-minded. And it think it helps him out a lot to figure out the what can harm a vampire and what is necessary to do in order to finish Dracula. I think if Van Helsing didn't have that balance then he wouldn't have a solution for anything that happened with Lucy and Mina.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Tati and Ciara, if Van Helsing did not have a balance between science and religion he would not have been open-minded. This open-minded mindset allows Van Helsing to care for his patients, such as Mina and Lucy, but also allow him to think beyond the realms of science. Van Helsing’s open-minded view of Dracula brings up other questions. Even though he is both a scientist and religious man, where did Van Helsing’s vast knowledge of vampires and Dracula originate? Could it be possible that neither science or religion can explain the existence of vampires and Dracula in Stoker's novel?

      Delete
    4. Kelly, I agree with what you are saying. I do think that it is possible that neither science nor religion can explain the existence of vampires. I might be that those are the two things that Van Helsing has concrete answers to but vampires are supernatural creatures so they cannot be explain through only these things. I do think that in order to defeat Dracula Van Helsing needed the guidance of science and religion but I agree that it may be l that these things don't fully explain vampires. There is something superstitious about them which cannot be explained by science or god. Since Van Helsing is dealing with the supernatural there is always doubts in Van Helsings theories because he cannot fully explain the supernatural.

      Delete
    5. I know this doesn't necessarily keep the conversation going but Kelly, I wondered that too. How does Van Helsing know so much about what is happening and how did that knowledge come about?

      Delete
  2. I liked where you went with this post. I had never really thought of Van Helsing having to balance his work as a scientist with his religion. Although I do think that someone can be a scientist and still believe in God. They just wouldn't believe the whole evolution from monkeys crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brennan, I agree with you when you say that there can be a balance between being a scientist but still remaining godly and religious. Van Helsing does a really good job of this. By doing this Stoker makes a complex character who can balance two conflicting ideas. Some scientist do believe in evolution and not that god created human kind but it takes a more well rounded person or character to bring in both beliefs to form a realistic medium ground to this supernatural event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post! This book came out during a crucial period in which science and religion were at its beginning stage of their rivalry. Darwinism had just now been introduced into the world. I think that this could book could be an influence on how science and religion can get along. Van Helsing being one of the main characters who is a man of science, but also believes in religion. Could this be how Stroker thought of the two? How does this book play in the battle of science vs religion during this time. These are a few questions which may aid in your research while writing your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great evidence and topic!I agree I think looking into the time period a little more could really make your paper soild and I agree with you in when saying that is seems that the only way the characters can triumph in this is to embrace both religion and science. Perhaps this is what Stoker was trying to say that embrace the changing times of the enlightenment however don't let go of your values and get lost. Don't let technology take over like terminator!
    -Aryn

    ReplyDelete