Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dracula and New Women


            Bram Stoker’s Dracula introduced readers to the “New Women” of the Victorian Era. Lucy Westenra and Dracula’s female vampires represent the new women of the Victorian Era. The way Stoker portrays Lucy Westenra and the female vampires leads readers to believe that Stoker not only was against the New Women of the Victorian Era but that the lifestyle led to Lucy and the female vampires’ deaths.
            The Oxford English Dictionary defines New Women as “a woman who is considered different from previous generations; esp. one who challenges or rejects the traditional roles of wife, mother, or homemaker, and advocates independence for women and equality with men.” During the Victorian Era, a woman such as Mina Harker was viewed as the ideal woman. Mina Harker did not challenge the traditional roles of being a wife, mother, or homemaker. Lucy Westenra however did challenge the traditional roles of women during the Victorian Era. In one of her letters to Mina, Lucy wonders, “why can’t they let a girl marry three men, or as many as want her, and save all this trouble? But this is heresy, and I must not say it” (Stoker 91). Lucy admits to Mina and the readers that having three husbands is heresy thus acknowledging the role expected of her as a woman of the Victorian Era. From the letters written to Mina, the readers begin to see that Lucy is torn between the expected roles of women in the Victorian Era and the New Women. This conflict is more apparent when Mina begins to document Lucy’s sleepwalking. During the day, Lucy represents the ideal Victorian Woman but at night another side of Lucy becomes present. At night Mina documents Lucy’s behavior as restless and impatient to get out (Senf 42). The restlessness that Lucy displays at night eventually leads her to Dracula and to her death.
            Dracula’s female vampires are another representation of the New Women. Lucy Westenra represented the strong independent characteristics of the New Women while the female vampires represent the sexual advancements of the New Women during the Victorian Era. During his trip to Transylvania, Jonathan Harker encounters Dracula’s three female vampires and documents what he remembers into his journal. “All three had brilliant white teeth, that shone like pearls against the ruby of their voluptuous lips. There was something about them that made me uneasy, some longing and at the same time some deadly fear” (Stoker 69). The way Jonathan Harker describes the female vampires leads readers to believe that while Jonathan desires and lusts for them, something about their sex appeal is dangerous. The behavior and physical characteristics of the female vampires represents a reversal of sexual roles commonly associated with New Women (Senf 40). According to Carol A Senf, of Victorian Times, New Women felt comfortable initiating sexual relationships, explore alternatives to marriage and motherhood, and discussing sexual matters such as venereal diseases (35). The New Women’s sexual views lead to the female vampires ultimate death. The female vampires impose a threat to the men and are killed because of that.
            The New Women of the Victorian Era introduced in Stoker’s novel posed a threat to the men and the current roles of women. Lucy Westenra and Dracula’s female vampires both went against the expected roles of women, which ultimately led them to their deaths. Stoker viewed the New Women lifestyle as dangerous and threatening to the men of the Victorian Era.
Works Cited:

“New Women.” Def. 2b. Oxford English Dictionary Online. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford UP,
2009. Web. 18 Nov. 2012.

Senf, Carol A. "'Dracula': Stoker's Response To The New Woman." Victorian
Studies 26.1 (1982): 33. Academic Search Complete. Web. 19 Nov. 2012.

Stoker, Bram. Dracula. Ontario, Canada: Broadview, 2000. Print.

9 comments:

  1. Kelly, I found your post to be really interesting. I like how you bring up "the new woman" and how these women were expected to behave versus the traditional role women essentially had.

    In Dracula, the female vampires make sexual advances towards the men to obtain blood. But yet, the women are still turned into vampires by men, Dracula. What do you think this means? Is Bram Stoker trying to say that even if they are "the new women" they are still controlled by, and subordinate to men?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he may be trying to say that it is the sad truth that women are still controlled by and subordinate to men. I feel like Stoker is really trying to say that women are much smarter and stronger than men give them credit and the men refuse to accept this.

      However, I just got to wondering if women vampires can turn others into vampires. Could Lucy turn someone else into a vampire after she has become a vampire?

      Delete
  2. Kelly, I really liked how you tied the "new women" with the female vampires. I think it adds a whole new perspective on the differences between Victorian women and "new women".
    Lydia, I think that we have to consider the time period a little bit. Since it was the 1800's, Stoker probably didn't even consider women ever not being under the control of men. It probably didn't even cross his mind. That's the only reason I can think of, at least! It's very interesting that even though the vampire women have sexual freedom, they are still confined to serving a man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a man's perspective I found this post to be very informative. I find it interesting how people stereotyped the woman of previous as oppose to this one. The sexual vibes the women vampires give off in Dracula is somewhat ahead of its time in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly I find this response very interesting, and one of the parts I like the most is the end when you say new women were a threat to men. Don't you think that Mina could be the biggest threat though? She is very smart and intelligent, even though she tries to follow men's order, she always is the one that finds the answers and makes men more aware of what is going on. I don’t think Victorian Women were supposed to be so knowledgeable, and for me seems like Mina could be the biggest threat of all if she realizes how smart and capable she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this post, it is very original. I'm not quite sure though that Stoker found the "new women" as dangerous since two of the main characters in the book were of a "new woman" type. In fact I think he kind of admired them and since he did admire them he used his book to lift them up. The main one was Mina, after being bitten all the men talk about how strong and brave she is, which leads me to believe Stoker didn't consider them dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your argument, a it is something that I wondered in my own post. Mine too involved the roles of women and I wondered did Stoker see them as a threat or was he showing that women could be strong, brave, etc. I just noticed how the men were so shocked that women could do things, and how the women were seen as inferior to men. But maybe you're right, maybe he did admire them.

      Delete
  6. Brennan, I understand how you might think that Stocker did not view the New Women as dangerous. However, Stocker did find the New Women to be dangerous and a threat to the roles of the traditional Victorian Era women. Mina is not considered a New Women. Mina never challenged her role as a woman as Lucy and the female vampires did. If you recall from the book, Mina was only ever concerned for the men and her husband and making sure that she was able to help them in any way possible. Stocker viewed Mina as the perfect Victorian women who did not challenge her role as a wife and mother. I agree with you that Mina was an intelligent woman however she is not necessarily brave. Once Mina has been bitten she does not act very brave at all. She subjects herself to the men and does anything and everything they tell her to. Even when the men no longer want her part of their conversations, Mina accepts this fact and does not challenge it. Stocker does find the New Women to be dangerous but he idolizes Mina who represents the perfect Victorian woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brennan, I agree with you there. There is definitely a lot of worshiping when it comes to Mina and Lucy. but is that because they somewhat stick to the roles that are defined for them?... Until Dracula comes in...

    I think it would be interesting to research Stoker's view on women's suffrage, from what I understand he was not all for it. Mina is depicted as perfection. Making a female reader almost envious of the love other's have for her, but also pity her, because she is stuck in old world.

    There is an immense amount of information about Mina being motherly. Caring for others. I think it would be cool to incorporate children and what women were expected to do to comfort/nurture them. Even as vampires the females are feeding off children. Is this a sick way to say that despite their mental state or inner being, they go back to their societal expectations?

    Great work so far! I just think you should look closer. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete